Re: Proximity for Swish-e/SwishCtl

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Sun May 14 2006 - 03:14:29 GMT
On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 13:29 -0700, Herman Knoops wrote:
> The SwishCtl is an ATL/COM component, which indeed must be
> registered. In an ASP/IIS environment this is not a problem,
> since the administrator has to register it only once.

Yes, that's definitely not an issue. The main problem with ASP/IIS in
the past has been the fact that SwishCtl's abort on error would cause
IIS to shut down when a certain errors occur.  Not to mention warning
dialogs that would surely fill up an invisible console somewhere.

> In a CD environment, we use a tiny but very powerful ASP webserver
> (third party, licensed), which takes care of so-called
> "volatile registration" of COM components, so the user does
> not have to install anything.

Ah, I see you're using PHD's Dynamic-CD.  That does seem like it might
be more convenient for end users.

> SwishCtl.dll has minimal changes. As far as the ATL stuff concerns,
> we use the macro /D "ATL_STATIC_REGISTRY" in the MSVC6 configuration,
> which makes sure some ATL code is statically incorporated (dependency
> to ATL.dll is gone). For ZLIB we use the zlibstat.lib, which is also
> statically linked.

So ATL and zlib are still there but they are static.  The ATL license
seems to be problematic for my build environment.  I do have Visual
Studio 8 on an old Windows computer.  So I'll have a look at the changes
sometime this weekend.

> SwishCtl.dll itself does not have ASP stuff in it. We created a new
> COM component, which is instantiiated in an ASP-file (CreateObject).
> This component has all the ASP-stuff in it and creates and calls the
> SwishCtl component. The COM component on top takes care of cleaning
> up and validating the user input, before the "search criteria" and
> boolean stuff is handed over to SwishCtl.

That seems like a reasonable idea.

--
 David L Norris
  http://webaugur.com/