Proximity for Swish-e/SwishCtl

From: Herman Knoops <hk.sw(at)not-real.knoman.com>
Date: Fri May 12 2006 - 14:07:53 GMT
Hi,

We use Swish-e now for a couple of years in several
environments on a Windows platform (CD-ROM / Intranet).
It's a very fast, flexible and stable search engine.

In short, some years ago we had to make a special kind
of proximity search ("area search"). The search engine
we used at that time could not provide that functionality.
After investigating all kind of alternatives, we decided to
use Swish-e as the foundation and enhanced it with a
number of features (some of them were already requested
by other Swish-e users, as you can see in Swish-e history).
We've added some required features:
- wildcard support for "?" (exactly one character)
- proximity search support with variable distance
  (e.g. bike near50 car)

We've also modified SwishCtl.dll (Windows) slightly to:
- let it work in an ASP-environment on IIS (4.0 or higher);
- let it run smoothly from CD/DVD, without msgboxes
  and without registry access
- removed several dependencies (zlib.dll and atl.dll),
  so now just SwishCtl is sufficient, for a search-only
  solution

For those who would like to enhance their Swish-e with
some of the mentioned features, feel free to have a look
at a background article, which explains things in more
detail and has some links to download binaries and/or
source code.

http://www.knoman.com/public/Swish-e_on_Windows.pdf

Maybe some of the patches/modifications are worthwhile
to incorporate into the overall platform independent
source code of Swish-e? For Swish-e people (developers
and/or users to judge).

Just to let you know.
Herman Knoops