Re: 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or

From: Ted Smith <tedsmith28(at)not-real.yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 18:16:58 GMT
Hi

Thanks guys - that seems to have worked. I uninstalled, then
re-installed to c:\Swish-e. I noticed actually that a Perl.exe Dos box
appears and several files seem to get adjusted including the spider.pl
file. That didn't happen before.

Perhaps just as a suggestion you could add to the instructions that it's
better to install to c:\swish-e rather than c:\program files\swish-e for
other people like me?

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Ted

David L Norris wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 08:24 -0700, Ted Smith wrote:
>
>> Line 125 of spider.pl (my version of it anyway - judging by your
>> response Bill I wam wondering if I have the wrong file, but it was the
>> only one of that name in the installation?) is as follows :
>>

> Is Swish-e installed to C:\Program Files\Swish-e?  If so then uninstall
> Swish-e (Add/Remove Programs) and then reinstall it to a location such
> as C:\Swish-e (no spaces in the name).  I suppose I should default to C:
> \swish-e for the install directory.  It's normally not a problem but
> Perl sometimes dislikes it.  I thought that was worked-around but
> obviously not.
>

>> Once again, I apologise for wasting people's time but Wish-E looks
>> extremely good but perhaps not great for newbies!
>>

> I think it's more like Windows isn't for newbies.  :-)
>
> Microsoft's use of spaces in "Program Files" and other important system
> directories was a rather ill-conceived attempt to show off.  Even in
> Windows, a space is treated as a filename delimiter and requires quite a
> bit of special handling to make work as part of the filename itself.
> (Someone more sensible appears to have renamed those problematic
> directories in Windows Vista.)

to a plain text message.