Re: 'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 17:32:39 GMT
On Wed, 2006-05-03 at 08:24 -0700, Ted Smith wrote:
> Line 125 of spider.pl (my version of it anyway - judging by your
> response Bill I wam wondering if I have the wrong file, but it was the
> only one of that name in the installation?) is as follows :

Is Swish-e installed to C:\Program Files\Swish-e?  If so then uninstall
Swish-e (Add/Remove Programs) and then reinstall it to a location such
as C:\Swish-e (no spaces in the name).  I suppose I should default to C:
\swish-e for the install directory.  It's normally not a problem but
Perl sometimes dislikes it.  I thought that was worked-around but
obviously not.

> Once again, I apologise for wasting people's time but Wish-E looks
> extremely good but perhaps not great for newbies!

I think it's more like Windows isn't for newbies.  :-)

Microsoft's use of spaces in "Program Files" and other important system
directories was a rather ill-conceived attempt to show off.  Even in
Windows, a space is treated as a filename delimiter and requires quite a
bit of special handling to make work as part of the filename itself.
(Someone more sensible appears to have renamed those problematic
directories in Windows Vista.)

--
 David L Norris
  http://webaugur.com/