'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command

From: Ted Smith <tedsmith28(at)not-real.yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed May 03 2006 - 14:43:57 GMT
Hi

I am really sorry if this is a really daft question to ask. I have been
trying Swish-E as a potential indexing\spidering candidate for our new
Intranet. Firstly, my setup :

Windows XP Pro, Service Pack 2,
Swish-E 2.4.3
Active Perl 5.6.1

I have installed ActivePerl 5.6.1 from here
<http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/5.6/ActivePerl-5.6.1.638-MSWin32-x86.msi>
and installed it - no problems there. I've then installed the Windows
Binary of Swish-E 2.4.3 from here
<http://www.swish-e.org/distribution/swish-e-2.4.3-win32.exe>. No
problems there either.

I've downloaded Swish-E at home for testing purposes and managed to get
it to work for basic indexing by following through with the instructions
and switches. No problems there. My query relates to the use of the Perl
scripts, namely the 'spider.pl' file in relation to CatDoc.

The problems arise when I try to instruct Swish-E to spider a local
folder full of office and PDF documents. I've created a swishe.conf file
(called 'swishe.conf') in the root of the C:\Program Files\SWISH-E
folder and populated it with the info from the web site as follows :

# Example for spidering
    # Use the "spider.pl" program included with Swish-e
    IndexDir spider.pl

    # Define what site to index
    SwishProgParameters default Z:\Files

(I have also tried Z:/Files)

The first thing I realized is that spider.pl is actually called
spider.pl.in by default. I had to rename it to spider.pl. I assume that
is correct? Until I did that it just couldn't find the file at all.

After renaming it, when I run the following command :

swish-e -S prog -c swishe.conf

I get the following error :

------------------------------------
Indexing "spider.pl"
External Program found: C:\Program Files\SWISH-E\lib\swish-e/spider.pl
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
Removing very common words...
no words removed.
Writing main index...
err: No unique words indexed!
.
------------------------------------
And that's it.

I've searched the Internet for this error in combination with Swish-E
and all I could find was this posting
<http://swish-e.org/archive/2003-12/6616.html>. Looking at the backslash
and forward slash thing, I wondered if it was to do with my PATH
settings. So I edited them to include the following :
C:\Perl\bin\;C:/Perl;C:/Program Files/SWISH-E. My full system path now
reads :

C:\WINNT\system32;C:\WINNT;C:\WINNT\system32\WBEM;C:\Program
Files\Common Files\GTK\2.0\bin;C:\Program
Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Common
Files\Adobe\AGL;C:\Perl\bin\;C:/Perl;C:/Program Files/SWISH-E

Now I am assuming it's got something to do with the fact that Windows is
not seeing\detecting the fact that Perl is installed? If that is the
case, I don't understand why there is a file association for pl files -
it knows pl files are Perl, yet from the DOS shell it does not appear to
understand it.

Can anyone help me? I'm sure the answer is simple, but believe me, I
have spent hours trying to find the answer without success. It is not
for a lack of trying. Maybe I just daft!

Thanks very much for all your help.

Ted

to a plain text message.