Re: One remark

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Wed Jan 25 2006 - 16:34:31 GMT
On Wed, Jan 25, 2006 at 07:55:12AM -0800, François Tissandier wrote:
> When a search gives no answer, you have this message:
> "err: no results"
> When your search contains an error, you have this message:
> "err: ............"

Ya, that's not great.  But it's something that's been like that for
about a decade or longer.

> I know it's a detail, but to me, to have 0 results, is not an error,
> it's an answer. I'm using the PHP code to run swish research, and it's
> looking for "err" on the first line of results to decide if there is an
> error or not.

That would be a bug in your script then because it's assuming what
"err" means.  It means "Everything Returned Right-here".

How about checking more of the string?

How about checking the return value?

    $ swish-e -w not kdkd >/dev/null && echo "yes"
    $ swish-e -w kdkd >/dev/null && echo "yes"
    $ swish-e -w kdkd -f fdl >/dev/null && echo "yes"

How about using the C API?

Help with Swish-e: