Skip to main content.
home | support | download

Back to List Archive

Re: problem with search.php under win 2003 server

From: Williams, Paul <p.williams(at)>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 10:10:46 GMT
For the benefit of those searching the archive this thread needs
closure. This unfortunately means I need to admit to being a bit of a

The mistake I made in trying to solve this problem was to make an
assumption and fail to work stepwise through the issue. In this case I
failed to check that PHP.INI (and thereby register_globals ON) was
loading correctly. This only became apparent when I was trying to
resolve a separate GD graphics issue. The path to PHP.INI was not in the
system variable path, I thought it was but didn't check........lesson

BTW, for information, when you get this script up and running you will
discover that the search will produce a fork error (well it did for me).
To date, the only way I've found around this is to give the IUSR_PCNAME
read and execute permissions on cmd.exe in the system32 folder. I'm not
sure about the security implications of this yet.

Ok, back to the manual and list searching for me to find out how to
display the contents contained within custom XML tags.........


-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Williams, Paul
Sent: 08 December 2005 12:52
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: [SWISH-E] Re: problem with search.php under win 2003 server

Well, after plugging away at it on and off for the last couple of days
I'm now at a complete loss as to why simple search 1.0 refuses to work
on my windows 2003 server under IIS6. In theory it should be so

It doesn't seem to matter what I do in terms of the path for
$strSearchEngine or path to the index file, the script just returns the
search page minus the search term. In addition previous troubleshooting
I've also tried uninstalling the php4isapi.dll on ISS and running PHP as
a CGI (making the changes needed in php.ini to run under ISS), the PHP
based web site still ran fine, the script didn't. In an effort to
simplify the paths I also tried reinstalling swish-e and ran everything
from the same folder as a 'virtual' directory. IIS permissions and
service extensions have been checked. Full error reporting in the script
and PHP are enabled but nothing is reported. The web logs show that both
search.php and its associated style sheet are being served without error
(GET and POST operations).

I don't know where to go from here, it looks to my layman's eye that the
swish-e.exe is simply not being called. Any pointers on what I may be
overlooking would be sincerely appreciated.

Thank, Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Williams, Paul 
Sent: 06 December 2005 11:50
To: ''
Subject: RE: [SWISH-E] Re: problem with search.php under win 2003 server

Hi David, thanks for responding.

>Which search.php is this?

Sorry, it is the search.php3 from SWS 1.0.1

>have you changed $debug=0; to $debug=4; in search.conf?  That should
>tell you exactly why it isn't working.  Or at least show you enough
>information to explain it.

I've tried this but no errors are revealed. The script still returns the
search web page with the search term cleared (errors have also been set
to show in the php.ini). The only additional thing I've noticed since my
first post is that the web page title returns empty double quotes i.e.
'Simple Search for "" - Microsoft Internet Explorer'.....not much help

At this point I should state that I'm not a coder. Normally though I can
work through basic PHP stuff without too much aggravation, it is however
easily possible that I'm overlooking something embarrassingly obvious in
the configuration. It's also in the back of my mind that it may be a
2003 Server/IIS6 issue, however, all other php stuff works fine.

Sorry that there is little information to work with. I'm going to plug
away at the problem for the next couple of hours to see if I can come up
with something more constructive to work with.

Thanks again, Paul
Received on Tue Dec 13 02:10:46 2005