Re: Indexing umlauts

From: Thomas Nyman <thomas(at)not-real.teg.pp.se>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 10:07:00 GMT
I have discovered the cause.

I run catdoc on word documents with the following settings

FileFilter .doc /usr/local/bin/catdoc "-b -s8859-1 -dutf-8 '%p'"

which works fine, generating an output that displays umlauts
correctly, both with respects to the content of word docs and for
filenames  whihc are utf-8 encoded on my system, in my browser.
However when the output is utf-8 i get the splitting effect on
umlauts for indexing.

if i set catdocs output to iso-8859-1 i have no issues with
splitting, but then umlauts will not display correctly in the browser
with regards to filenames..in other words the body of the document
indexed displays fine when searching but i'm back to my issue with
filenames. The only way I can see filenames correctly is if the
outputed stuff to the browser is in utf-8 format.

as things stand it looks like I either have the word splitting effect
but have correct display of both filenames and body text in the
swish.cgi output but then ofcourse I am unable to search using
umlauts..or I can have filenames display incorreclty when using umlauts.

I'm hoping there are some germans out there who have looked at this
problem. I thought I had it solved but as it turns out there is a
little "aber".

WHat i need is a way to index utf-8 output correctly, or perhas do a
substitute in the query...but I will admit I do not know what to
substitute. My unicode/encoding knowledge is very limited.

I always thought perl worked inernally with utf and it should
therefore not be a problem.

I guess my question would be .. when the script goes through and
indexes the output of catdoc what determines the character encoding?
Is there a variable i can set to use utf-8 or convert utf-8 to
iso-8859-1?

I can't help but think that this problem i'm having must have a
solution. I cant imgine there not being international users who have
encountered the same issues.

Just for the record .. I think swish-e is great !!