Re: VERY CONFUSED ABOUT FILTERS

From: David Larkin <david.larkin(at)not-real.djl.co.uk>
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 20:31:51 GMT
Bill,

Thanks for taking the time for the comprehensive reply.
It is appreciated.

I think I'm getting somewhere, and maybe it isn't so complicated.

I simply use the following

# howto-all.conf
IndexDir ./all
IndexFile ./howto-all.index
UseStemming	yes
MetaNames	swishtitle	swishdocpath
StoreDescription HTML* <body> 200000

> swish-e -S fs -c howto-all.conf

# .swishcgi.conf
return {
        title           => 'FAST : Search the FAST list',
        swish_index     => 'howto-all.index'
};

and the swish.cgi finds strings with html, doc, xls, and ppt files

Ok , a few problems ,
- the results just give filename and not the context where the string was fouund
- searching of xls is a bit flakey

but I can check out the detailed documentation to see what these problems are.

I think the problem for new users is the lack of a "hello world" example.

When you first read K&R it says
- type the following few lines into a file called helloworld.c
- type cc helloworld.c
- type a.out

that works , and you're up and running and you can start thinking about I/O, arrays, pointers, mallocs and the rest

Here , you're trying to get your head around all kinds of abstract ideas before you see any results. Also , following Josh's excellent , but perhaps now depricated 'How to Index Anything' sends you off down a blind alley.

Thanks again

David