Re: Swish-e and OpenDocument and metadata

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Thu Nov 03 2005 - 16:15:48 GMT
> Hi, I have two questions:
>
> First, can Swish-e index OpenDocument files and the metadata in the
> documents?  That PDF and MS-Word must first pass through a filter, but
> that XML is processed.  OpenDocument is just zipped XML.  I ask because I
> am looking to expand our list of packages[1] which handle the OpenDocument
> format to ones beyond productivity packages.

If it's XML, swish-e can handle it. You'd need to unzip it first, of
course. Depending on how you intend to search it, you'll need to configure
MetaNames and Properties accordingly. But by default, all text in the
OpenDocument would be searched.

> Second, speaking of metadata, does the MetaNames listed in the document
> contents directives mean that arbitrary metadata in HTML / XHTML
> documents?  For example, if I index a site containing XHTML with lots of
> Dublin Core[2], could I then search fields DC.Subject or DC.Creator
> separately? I ask because I am quite curious about this and it was not
> clear in the documentation.  A search of the site and its documentation
> for 'metadata' turned up empty for me.

try searching for dublin* or metanames. The short answer is 'yes' you can
index arbitrary metadata. That's what MetaNames are for (and where most of
the power of Swish-e lies...).

> PS.  Thanks for a no-frames site.  I just got through with the ht://dig
> site which is heavily encumbered by frames and am extra glad that Swish-e
> has skipped them.

you're very welcome. :)

--
Peter Karman . http://peknet.com/ . peter(at)not-real.peknet.com