Re: Problem calling DirTree.pl from IndexDir

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 16:39:11 GMT
On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 08:38:20AM -0700, Loren Gordon wrote:
> Hello,
> I have SWISH-E 2.4.3 installed on Windows Server 2003.  I've
> installed unrtf, xhtml, and wvware and made sure they're in my path,
> and I have the pp2html.pm and Rtf2html.pm filters in the Filters
> directory.  I've also installed Parse::Excel and all other Perl
> modules required for the various filters.

You should not have to install the filters manually, as far as know.

> When I set my swish.conf so it will call DirTree.pl with IndexDir
> and SwishProgParameters, I get lots of fun, confusing errors that I
> have not been able to resolve.  For now I get around them by running
> "perl lib/swish-e/DirTree.pl Y: | swish-e -e -S prog -i stdin -c
> swish.conf".  That's worked for the individual files, but I just
> started it on the whole directory.

I think piping the output of DirTree.pl into swish is a fine way to
go about things.

> It also hasn't been indexing all the directories in the path, even
> though they index fine if I specify them individually.  I'm not sure
> yet if that's related or because there are just a lot files (~350k
> docs, 19k folders, 15GB of space).  I'm trying to eliminate one
> problem at a time.

One thing you can do is save the output of DirTree.pl to a file so
you don't have to rerun it over and over, and you can inspect it with
an editor.  Then feed that file to swish for indexing.

> Anyway, here are the errors:
>
> 2024 Warning - Y:/path/to/file: Use of unitialized value in pattern match (m//) at C:/Perl/lib/IO/Handle.pm line 348.
> 2024 Warning - Y:/path/to/file: Use of unitialized value in concatentation (.) or string at C:/Perl/lib/IO/Handle.pm line 358.
> 3112 Warning - Y:/path/to/file: Use of unitialized value in substitution (s///) at C:/Perl/lib/HTML/Entities line 458.
> 3112 Warning - Y:/path/to/file: Use of unitialized value in numeric lt (<) at C:\SWISH-E\lib\swish-e\perl/SWISH/Filters/XLtoHTML.pm line 70.

Those are odd, and I can't really guess what's causing those without
debugging in your environment.

> This is my config:
>
> IndexDir DirTree.pl

Will Windows 2000 run DirTree.pl directly without specifying
perl.exe?  In the past I've done

IndexDir /path/to/perl.exe
SwishProgParameters /path/to/DirTree.pl /path/to/index

But again, I like saving the output of DirTree.pl to a (compressed)
file and then feed that to swish.