Re: Applicability of Swish-E... Thoughts?

Date: Thu Jul 07 2005 - 09:46:48 GMT

>seems like you would need to be clever in defining your XML and then playing
>with the metanames (maybe using attributes to define "subfields"?).

You reply encouraged me enough to spend a few hours exploring Swish-E
tonight - so far I'm impressed .. yet... confused. :)

Along the lines of cleverly designing my XML, I wrote a script to extract
data from my database and create a XML stream which I call with "swish-e
-c test.conf -S prog".  I just have it extracting one record for now so I
could mess around with the query part of it.  I can't seem to get beyond
a "category" problem.  Here is the output stream:

Path-Name: 278232
Last-Mtime: 1120726768
Document-Type: XML*

<listing>
  <id>278232</id>
  <category>a a.b a.b.b a.b.b.g a.d a.d.c a.d.c.bc </category>
</listing>

In test.conf I have:

MetaNames jobdata_id category

. So to explain why I did this and what my expectations are:

#1. This sits in two categories "a.b.b.g" and "a.d.c.bc", which are
hierarchal in nature.
#2. This should come up with any searches of 'category=a',
'category='a.b', 'category='a.b.b', 'category='a.b.b.g', 'category='a.d',
'category='a.d.c', or 'category='a.d.c.bc'

Here are the results using 'swish -w category=X', where X is:

a        = 1 result
a.b      = 0 results
a.b.b    = 0 results
a.b.b.g  = 0 results
a.d      = 0 results
a.d.c    = 0 results
a.d.c.bc = 0 results

. Yet I can do things like "category=bc" and get a result....

I originally tried doing:

<listing>
  <id>278232</id>
  <category>a</category>
  <category>a.b</category>
  <category>a.b.b</category>
  <category>a.b.b.g</category>
  <category>a.d</category>
  <category>a.d.c</category>
  <category>a.d.c.bc</category>
</listing>

. but this didn't seem any better....  I feel as though I am missing
something very basic here, might you know what it is?....

There are a number of attributes which I need to add in this fashion
(state ids, etc) and I just can't figure out how to get the obvious
result I am after... :(

=====
I hesitate to bring this up in this response, but since it was part of my
original topic it perhaps isn't too far afield.

What I would really like is a way to say something like "swish-e -w UNIX'
and have it return to me something like this:

a       15
a.b     15
a.b.b   5
a.b.b.g 2
a.b.b.h 3
a.b     10
a.b.g   10
a.b.g.b 10

.. where the number to the right is the total count of matching records
for each category.

Is what I am after here possible with Swish-E?  I know that I can feed
the output of it into a script to generate this summary, but this is slow
work...   I know nothing about Swish-E is architected at this point, but
it almost seems like Swish-E would need to have everything it needs to
internally generate this summary very quickly.
=====

I have saved the rest of your response and when I get to that point I may
have a few more questions.. :)  But so far I'm very pleased with the
performance, even after packing in all my data searches were plenty fast
enough.

- Greg