Re: Context Searching by Title

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 14:57:59 GMT
David Ayres scribbled on 7/1/05 3:31 PM:

> Here's the relevant source of the third entry:
>
> <HTML>
> <TITLE> DANIEL B. BURNETTE, Appellant, v. STATE OF FLORIDA, Appellee. 2nd
> District. </TITLE>
>  <BODY>
> <B>Criminal law -- Possession of controlled substance -- Knowledge of illicit nature of
> substance -- Section 893.101, Florida Statutes, which states that knowledge of the illicit
>
> **END SOURCE EXAMPLE**
>
> As you can see, there is no "john" in the TITLE tag.
>
> In my tests, the only accurate way of searching with the -t switch seems to be to limit the search to one word or phrase--which, of course, curtails the usefulness of searching by context.  Can anyone shed some light on this?

using your example above, here are my results with Swish-e 2.5.4:

karpet@cartermac 9% swish-e -w 'daniel'
# SWISH format: 2.5.4
# Search words: daniel
# Removed stopwords:
# Number of hits: 1
# Search time: 0.004 seconds
# Run time: 0.028 seconds
1000 t.html "DANIEL B. BURNETTE, Appellant, v. STATE OF FLORIDA, Appellee. 2nd
District." 308
.
karpet@cartermac 10% swish-e -w 'daniel' -t t
# SWISH format: 2.5.4
# Search words: daniel
# Removed stopwords:
# Number of hits: 1
# Search time: 0.005 seconds
# Run time: 0.030 seconds
1000 t.html "DANIEL B. BURNETTE, Appellant, v. STATE OF FLORIDA, Appellee. 2nd
District." 308
.
karpet@cartermac 11% swish-e -w 'daniel john' -t t
# SWISH format: 2.5.4
# Search words: daniel john
# Removed stopwords:
err: no results
.
karpet@cartermac 13% swish-e -w 'daniel john'
# SWISH format: 2.5.4
# Search words: daniel john
# Removed stopwords:
err: no results
.

Swish-e 2.1 is \very\ old. I doubt seriously whether anyone still has a copy
lying around to test with. The 2.2 release introduced a lot of new features and
fixes, and 2.4 has greatly improved the API and other things. Upgrading can be
painful (for any software) but I don't think support for 2.1 will be forthcoming.

That said, if you have the source lying around for 2.1, you might search for
DEFAULT_RULE to see what the default boolean logic is. Here's what config.h says
currently:

#define DEFAULT_RULE AND_RULE

/* If a list of search words is specified without booleans,
** SWISH will assume they are connected by a default rule.
** This can be AND_RULE or OR_RULE.
*/