Re: Parsing doc, xls and excel files with swish-e and libxml2

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Jun 28 2005 - 14:08:10 GMT
On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 10:39:03PM -0700, Animesh Bansriyar wrote:
> I was trying to natively build swish-e under windows with some modifications
> since we wanted to deploy swish-e on desktops throughout the organization where
> we have a mixture of windows and linux clients and needed a minimal system
> which would work similarily in both cases. I cannot ask all users to have perl
> on their systems as well.

Sounds like what you need is some kind of document management.

You want to run swish on all the clients because?? Because you want to
index all the docs on those machines?  Because you don't have any
central document storage and management in your organization?  Because
the individual users want to find docs on their own machines?  Or so you
can index files on their machines and search their documents remotely
or copy the index from their machine?

And you want a version of swish-e that's just a compact binary that
has all the parsers and filters built in with no dependencies that's
easier to install?  So instead of installing swish in one place for
all in your organization to use you want to manage multiple
installations of swish on all the client machines?  Or will the users
install and run your new version of swish themselves?  Perhaps as some
part of another software package?  Will the users of the clients know
their machines are being indexed?

> What are the chances of adding in a native parser for all document formats
> onto swish-e itself?

All document formats?