seeking an author to write about indexing

From: Eric Lease Morgan <emorgan(at)not-real.nd.edu>
Date: Fri Jun 10 2005 - 16:12:05 GMT
I am seeking an author who will write a short essay about indexing
techniques.

I am in the process of writing a manual for an open source application
called MyLibrary. The title for the manual will be "Designing,
implementing, and maintaining digital library services and collections
with MyLibrary", and you can see what has been written so far here:

   http://dewey.library.nd.edu/mylibrary/manual/

MyLibrary is essentially a relational database application combined
with a set of object oriented Perl modules. To facilitate search
functionality we write reports against the database and feed the output
to swish.

We will document this functionality in the manual but I am also looking
for an essay (about 3,000 words long) that would be entitled "What are
indexers and why should I care?" The essay would:

   * compare indexing techniques to finding
     information with relational database techniques

   * compare and contrast a few index tools
     such as swish and p/lucene

   * compare and contrast indexing local files with
     the streamed output of databases

Like the MyLibrary software, the manual will be distributed freely but
under the GNU Public License.

If you would like to become famous by contributing to this effort, then
please don't hesitate to drop me a line.  ;-)

--
Eric Lease Morgan
Head, Digital Access and Information Architecture Department

(574) 631-8604