Re: Tuning ranking manually with MetaNamesRank

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Jun 09 2005 - 19:25:56 GMT
On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 11:37:25AM -0700, koszalekopalek wrote:
> Go to www.swish-e.org and type in "documentation". The link to the main
> documentation page (http://www.swish-e.org/docs/index.html) is not the
> first hit (I thought it was 5th or something, but now it's not even on
> the first page -- maybe the index was regenerated?)

First hit is README.  Perfect.  Perhaps you missed the link on the
menu that says "documentation"?

> Now go to Google and search for:
> 	documentation +site:swish-e.org
> It gets it right. http://www.swish-e.org/docs/index.html is listed as
> the first hit.
>

> Why Google gets it right? Maybe
> A) Their ranking algorithms are more sophisticated.
> B) It simply has more data available to do the ranking.

You want swish-e, a free ten year old program maintained by
a very small number of volunteers to work like Google?  You can buy a
google appliance for a few ten thousand dollar bills and get the
google ranking if that's what you really want.

Swish is designed for indexing web sites and small collections of
documents.  "indexing" is the word there.  You search for
"documentation" it's not going to say "He really means he wants the
docs", it's going to look for files that contain that word.  Ranking is
very basic, so it really helps to be able to enter in a query that
works -- type in "segfault with merge" and you might find things
related to your question.  Type in spider.pl and you might get the
docs for the spider, but more likely the discussion of spider.pl since
it's a vague request.  But, "documentation" is too generic of a search
term.  Don't try "swish-e documentation" because "swish-e" is going to
be in almost every doc.