Re: Tuning ranking manually with MetaNamesRank

From: koszalekopalek <koszalekopalek(at)not-real.interia.pl>
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 15:01:46 GMT
Peter Karman wrote:

> What the MetaNamesRank param does is artificially inflate the number of
> occurances of words that occur within the specified MetaName. So you
> have it configured correctly, as far as I can tell.
>
> What I was suggesting was that in order to test it accurately, you need
> to let it default to sorting by swishrank \first\ -- otherwise,
> comparing the order with and without MetaNamesRank is apples and
> oranges. In your example, your results are being sorted by 'swishserver'

Oops, sorry for making this a bit unclear. 'swishserver' is bogus
in the sense that the way I had it set up is (temporarily) identical
for all documents in the index.

> then 'desc'

No, 'desc' is a qualifier meaning descending, right? :-)

So I am left with just 'swishrank'.

> and then by 'swishrank.' All I was suggesting was that if
> you sort first by swishrank, then you might see a difference (or not --
> the MetaNamesRank feature is reported to have neglible affect on ranking).

Anyway -- to be on the safe side I set the sort to:
	$query->SetSort ('swishrank desc');

And I have two index files. One was generated with additional
Meta tags inserted in HTML documents (and MetaNamesRank added
to swish configuration).

No matter which index file I use, the order of results returned
in the same.

A.

Znajdz swoja milosc na wiosne... >>> http://link.interia.pl/f187a