Re: Tuning ranking manually with MetaNamesRank

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)>
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 14:43:40 GMT
koszalekopalek scribbled on 6/8/05 9:42 AM:

> Peter Karman wrote:
>> you might want to try \not\ sorting then. That could throw off your
>> tests:
>>     $query = $handle->New_Search_Object;
>>     # $query->SetSort ('swishserver desc swishrank');
>>     $results = $query->Execute($formWords);
> I don't get it. I thought the whole point was to to affect
> swishrank with meta tags in html files and "MetaNames swishranking"
> and "MetaNamesRank 10 swishranking" in the swish configuration file(?)

What the MetaNamesRank param does is artificially inflate the number of
occurances of words that occur within the specified MetaName. So you have it
configured correctly, as far as I can tell.

What I was suggesting was that in order to test it accurately, you need to let
it default to sorting by swishrank \first\ -- otherwise, comparing the order
with and without MetaNamesRank is apples and oranges. In your example, your
results are being sorted by 'swishserver' then 'desc' and then by 'swishrank.'
All I was suggesting was that if you sort first by swishrank, then you might see
a difference (or not -- the MetaNamesRank feature is reported to have neglible
affect on ranking).

Peter Karman  .  .  peter(at)