Stopwords/Stemming

From: Brad Miele <bmiele(at)not-real.ipnstock.com>
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 19:40:41 GMT
Hi,

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around explaining this (no new
news there), so forgive me in advance for my bumbling communication.

We use an external stopwords file when we index, one of the words in the
stopwords file is "may". I noticed today that when searching our stemmed
index for a person with the last name Mayes, i would get way to many
results, when i ran the command line, it informed me that the stopword
may was being removed.

So it seems like it is stemming the word and then comparing it against the
stopwords. Does this seem like a correct assesment?

I have removed may from the stopwrds list for now to fix the problem, but
wondered if this should be looked at further.

Thanks,

Brad
 Brad Miele
 Technology Director