Re: Searching for empty string

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Fri Jun 03 2005 - 13:39:19 GMT
There's really not a clean (straightforward) way to do this.

You can probably find some creative ways around it, though. Some might include:

1. if you're using -S prog, use some standard string to indicate no value for a
property: NA or NONE or something like that. Some string that won't be likely to
appear in valid properties.

2. search for (not a*) and (not b*) ... and (not z*)
for each of your word characters (start word characters, really). You could set
that up as a pre-defined query. I would expect it to be really slow
(comparatively) though, because of all the wildcards.

3. Like #1, but use a low ascii char (a control character) to indicate the
'empty' property. Then set PropertyNamesNoStripChars config param to 'yes'.

CheHax scribbled on 6/3/05 5:16 AM: