Re: Displaying Word Documents(.doc) metanames using

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 05:54:46 GMT
On Sun, 2005-05-22 at 21:33 -0700, Jono Tan wrote:
> Im not sure how to display .doc metadata from the swish-e index.

Well, first you'll have to get the metadata into a swish-e index.  You
could do so by writing a SWISH::Filter Perl module, for example.

> example if i want to search for a word document with author Joe Doe (This
> should in turn search for metanames: author = Joe Doe).  I can get this
> working with OpenOffice files as I can look @ the "meta.xml" file, but
> cannot do this with the Word documents (filter catdoc).

As far as I'm aware catdoc does nothing more than concatenate text
objects within a Microsoft Word document.  I'm fairly sure there's no
way to extract metadata using catdoc.

You can do so with wv ( http://wvware.sf.net/ ):

$ wvSummary test_document.doc
The title is