Re: swish-e indexing questions

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Wed May 18 2005 - 15:11:41 GMT
On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 07:23:32AM -0700, John Paige wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have couple of questions regarding indexing on swish-e:
> 1: When index is created, swish-e creates two files,
> - index.swish-e
> - index.swish-e.prop
> After doing cat on these files, I can see that it uses some sort of
> compression to index files. Could anyone please let me what
> compression method it uses?

Various ones -- zlib is used for parts, and some numbers are
compressed.  Why do you ask?

> 2: Is it possible to pass these indexing files to another server using
> socket? The scenerio I have is, I would like one server to do indexing
> and use the other server to store indexing files.

Well, yes, you can copy the index files from one machine to another.

> Is it possible to do so using C-API's provided by swish-e?

No.  But there are a few systems people have setup to do remote
searching of an index.  Take a look at SWISHED and Swishd projects at:

Help with Swish-e: