Re: swish- indexing deletion

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 18:52:04 GMT
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 02:20:55PM -0400, John Paige wrote:
> So, if someone is deleting in the same frequency as adding files in
> the index (for example user's mailbox), the best approach would be to,
> use incremental -r option to delete, and periodically, reindex and
> remove the old index file.

Incremental is good for a mailing list where you never delete.
Searching an active mail box is another question.  I've been thinking
about setting up swish for a long time on my mail.  But, I get
hundreds of emails each day and delete almost that many.  Actually, I
get thousands -- but most get dropped or rejected early.  So it would
be hard to keep up with all the updates.  Plus, I often move messages
around -- from one folder to another.

I guess I'd use incremental indexing and when searching make sure the
mail still exists before presenting the results.  What's a few stat
calls?

I'm not sure how I'd do that for hundreds of users, though.  There I
might be tempted to store the text parts of the mail in a RDBMS that
has full text searching -- postgresql or MySQL and hope for the best.
Then later wonder what to do with attachments and all those odd MIME
parts.

I use Mutt with IMAP and just haven't had that much problem finding
emails when needed.  It has reasonably nice search feature -- and I
can grep my Maildir also.  So, it remains on my todo list.  I have
more of a problem deleting messages by mistake -- that 'd' key is just
too handy.  Helps reduce the work load, too.

Also, I've thought about installing Mairix since it's just an apt-get
away.  http://www.rpcurnow.force9.co.uk/mairix/