Re: swish- indexing deletion

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu May 12 2005 - 18:11:47 GMT
On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 01:12:48PM -0400, John Paige wrote:
> So, what people do if they need to delete a file from an index and
> can't use incremental as it's in experimental stage.

Next time you will be sure to only index the files you want indexed!  ;)

Of course, you are asking how to use a feature in swish-e that
basically doesn't exist -- if swish (without incremental) doesn't
remove files, then, well, you can't remove files.

Note also that even with incremental, swish-e doesn't really delete a
file from the index -- it only flags it as deleted.  The space is not
reclaimed.

On Thu, May 12, 2005 at 10:49:17AM -0700, John Paige wrote:
> Does anyone know for sure when incremental indexing will be stable -
> out of experimental phase?

When we get enough people to test it -- which is hard when people
won't test things that are not already stable.

> Peter mentioned that it should be in the next release, is so when will
> be the next release planned?

Soon as all the bugs are out of incremental.  Well, there's no
pending bugs we know of, so, soon.  I would say within a week or so.
Time permitting.

We are not currently adding new features to the source -- so the
"stable" version will likely be the current daily build with a new
version number attached.

It's funny how people are willing to use the "stable" and not the
daily builds.  I suppose for some it's telling one's boss that you are
using the "stable" version and not a development version.  It's the
same warranty for both versions, of course.  And in some ways, the
"stable" version after being released is more buggy than the
development version, which has the bug fixes.

I'm being silly, of course.  Big things do change between "stable"
release -- like bug fixes, index format, and available features.  But,
I guess if those things didn't change there would be little point in
making a new release.