Re: lucene/plucene

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)>
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 16:50:56 GMT
Bernhard Weisshuhn scribbled on 5/9/05 11:23 AM:
> Peter Karman wrote:
>> Plucene I have only read about; I love Perl, but for performance
>> reasons, I just can't imagine using Plucene in any kind of production
>> environment. Hobbyists, personal websites, etc., seem fine, but Perl
>> just isn't robust enough, imo, to stand up against Lucene (Java) or
>> Swish-e (C).
> Jehovah! Jehovah! Let the flames begin!
> Whoever mentions the term 'classpath' first, loses!
> Whoops, that would be me then :-)
> I for one happen to know quite a few hardcore mission critical perl
> applications running at telcos and also some very unstable J2EE
> applications (yes, also vice-versa...)
> More interesting: Did anybody benchmark a plucene-application against
> swish-e recently?

Let me try and nip this in the bud. :)

I realize I should have said "Plucene just isn't robust enough..." not Perl. I
realize that Perl is robust enough ( anyone?). I was referring to the
opinion of the Plucene maintainer from a year ago:

It would be interesting to hear his opinion today, and yes, see some plucene vs
lucene vs swish-e benchmarks. Does anyone have a portable benchmark suite available?
Peter Karman  .  .  peter(at)