Re: 2.4.3 Refuses to Index Virtual Host

From: fh oregon <linux(at)>
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 23:04:11 GMT
My goal here is to have the main site and the virtual site(s) indexed
and searchable.  The more I mull this over I came up with a way to fake
out the indexer.   As a test, I placed a (hidden) link on the main page
directly to the /SFCC directory and !!!  It looks like it is all working
now.  I need to do more testing.

Bill Moseley wrote:

>On Sat, Apr 09, 2005 at 11:10:12AM -0700, fh oregon wrote:
>>The root of the site ( is /web/httpd/htdocs  Within that
>>directory is the main index.html as well as a few other html documents
>>and directorys for other parts of the site.  One of those directorys is
>>/web/httpd/htdocs/SFCC which is the root of the
>> domain.
>Again, the spider has NO knowledge of your directory structure.  If
>you spider and there's no pages in in CFCC
>then it won't spider them.
>Try it yourself.  Go to and only click on links that
>include as the host name.  That's all that will be
>indexed.  That link to CFCC is not the same host name.
>Look, you also link to --
>do you expect that to get indexed?  And everything it links to, also?
>Sounds like you are not clear on how web servers map directories.

Frank Hunt
Confused Linux Admin