Re: Using Swish-e search capabilities within ASP

From: David L Norris <dave(at)not-real.webaugur.com>
Date: Sat Apr 02 2005 - 04:26:33 GMT
On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 06:05 -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> > > The dll is in windows, AFAIK.  Sorry, I don't really know what a COM
> > > object is.

There is no Swish-e DLL, per se.   There is the Swishctl DLL which is a
COM object statically linked to libswish-e.  It is installed by default
with Swish-e.

> > A COM object is one you can use in ActiveX for instance and use like :
> > set mySE = Server.CreateObject("Swish-e.Search")
> > mySE.IndexFile = "c:/se/myindex.idx"
> > mySE.SearchString = "how to use a pipe for swish-e"
> > mySE.AddProperty PrimaryKey, TableName
> > mySE.Boundaries 0, 10
> > myResult = mySE.GetResultArray
> > set mySE = nothing
> >
> > I wonder if I could build a COM object like that with the DLL. I
> > should give it a try.

The only Swish-e "DLL" for Windows is a COM object which works exactly
like that.  The COM object is _already_ installed by the Swish-e
installer and an example script is placed in the Start Menu as "Programs
\Swish-e\Search Documentation."  However, the error handling is not well
suited for use with ASP.  It needs some minor work.  One could use the
current COM object unchanged with ASP but it may cause problems.  All
you have to do to install the COM object is install Swish-e on the
server.

Again, the Swishctl COM object is included with Swish-e here:
  http://www.swish-e.org/distribution/swish-e-2.4.3-win32.exe

I wrote some basic docs for the current ActiveX API and placed them
here:
  http://webaugur.com/wares/files/swish-e/ctldoc/API.html

There is ActiveX JavaScript example source code in every recent Swish-e
Windows installation and here:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/swishe/swishctl/example/query.htm?rev=1.2&view=auto

--
 David Norris