MS Swish

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Apr 01 2005 - 22:05:14 GMT
I just got off the phone with a lawyer from Microsoft and he says they
want to buy the swish-e "technology" (his words) for "their own
internal use".  I call bullshit -- I think it's just another MS attack
on open source.  But, he also implied that swish-e might be infringing
on MS-owned patents.  Nice threat.  The interesting thing, of course,
it that the code is free for their use, but my guess is it's the name
that they really want us to stop using.

So three questions:

1) how much money should we ask for?  I have no idea what's
reasonable.

2) how should we distribute the money?  My idea is to just split it up
for all members of the swish-e list (I already grabbed a current
subscription list, so don't bother subscribing multiple addresses at
this point).

3) since the code is freely available, I could just repackage under a
different name.  So what name should we use?  I wonder if we could use
"mswish" just to piss them off, of it that would be too close to the
existing name -- or one they might want to use.

Suggestions?