Search on metanames - internals and speed

From: Brett Paden <paden(at)not-real.multiply.com>
Date: Thu Mar 31 2005 - 18:21:49 GMT
Does anyone know how metaname searches are done on a swish index?  I
have a largish swish index (around 1 gig) that performs quite well
except when doing searches that contain multiple metanames.  For
example:

-w '(america OR clinton) AND (owner_id=xxx OR owner_id=yyyy OR owner_id=zzz OR ...)

But with anywhere from 10 to 100 metaname=key strung together with ORs.

Also, I've noticed that repeating the query speeds results
dramatically.  I assume that swish stores some portion of the index in
memory as slightly modifying the query slows result time.  Is there a
way to force swish to store the entire index in memory before any
querries are done?