Re: Using Swish-e search capabilities within ASP

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 18:17:31 GMT
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:26:14AM -0800, CheHax wrote:
> I am a new Swish-e user and kind of an addict as well since I tried it
> on my 25M records database, and if I have yet to work on the indexing
> phase, I'm wondering how I can use my index file from ASP pages.

25 *million* records?  My guess is swish won't be your best solution.

> The fact is that my whole website runs under IIS, in ASP pages using
> VBScript. My guess is that an ActiveX would be the key, but there does
> not seem to be any to use Swish-e, or at least not a recent and
> suitable one for heavy loaded server.

Sorry, can't offer any help with those technologies -- they are all
foreign to me.  Swish has a dll for windows, so I'd expect there would
be a way to link with that.

> Yet, it may be possible to call the cgi app from an ASP page, but I
> have no clue how to do that and wouldn't mind a bit of help. Unless
> you tell me it will be way to slow for like 10000 request an hour.

I wouldn't run it as a CGI application.  10,000 searches per hour?
10,000 static pages perl hour?  What's that about 3 requests per
second?  That doesn't sound too hard to manage -- depending on your
hardware.