Re: SwishLastModified

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Mar 08 2005 - 14:41:08 GMT
On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 12:54:19AM -0800, Ciaran Lyne wrote:
> I am indexing a web site and was wondering what the swishlastmodified date
> should return, I am trying to retrieve it on searching but nothing is
> returned.

If spidering it should look at the Last-Modified header.

> Is that only for actual physical files as the site I am indexing is
> dynamically built with no physical HTML files

I would argue that your site should still return last-modified
headers unless every request really generates new content.  Your
developers should be thinking about cache control.

> I have in metadata a field DC.Date.modified. Can I use this as an alias for
> the swishlastmodified?

Yes.

  PropertyNameAlias swishdescription DC.Date.modified

But, again, I'd recommend fixing your site and send out the date in
the http headers, and also have the site respect if-modified-since
requests.

> Also, is Swish-E case sensitive? I have a link index.asp?locID=10 in a
> document but also a link in another document index.asp?locid=10

Are URLs case sensitive?

> So does it treat these as two separated links or as the same?

Yes, of course.