Re: pdf to ...

From: Ander <redna(at)>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2005 - 07:37:39 GMT

I've been using xpdf's pdftotext. I know it's not a perfect conversion, but It isn't as bad as it could be (some tool do it horrible.)
After doing the conversion, I usually run a perl script to correct some frequent mistakes:

- w o r d -> spaces bettwen letters.
- strato- various -> hyphen and space for large word in different lines.

Despite this correction it is not a perfect text but it works for me.

If anyone knows a better tool please post it to the list.

>Subject: [SWISH-E] pdf to ...
>   From: Peter Karman <>
>   Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 18:42:37 -0800 (PST)
>     To: Multiple recipients of list <>
>A little off-topic, but since many here deal with converting PDF to other
>formats, thought I'd start here.
>I haven't been that happy with the xpdf package. It fails to convert some PDF
>files legibly (using pdftotext), and support is a one-man show (always risky, imho).
>I have had more success with the ps2ascii tool from Ghostscript and I wonder
>what others have found.
>consider this a PDF tool survey...
>Peter Karman  .  .  peter(at)
Lortu posta elektronikoa doan >>