Re: How can i change the search out put formats

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Mar 02 2005 - 16:02:27 GMT
On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 06:48:15AM -0800, Peter Karman wrote:
> If you are having trouble with search.cgi, I suggest using swish.cgi instead.
> They're both included in the distribution. search.cgi is intended as an example
> for programmers. swish.cgi is supposed to be relatively easy to use for the
> non-programmer.

At the cost of being more complex....

> /usr/local/share/swish-e/swish.tmpl
>
> with any text editor, to make the HTML look however you want. I prefer CSS to
> hardcoding style into the template, so I changed a lot of the tags to add
> 'class' attributes, etc.

One reason I didn't originally use more css is that I didn't know
where to install the .css file.  But, that's life, and I'd rather
have more css and less junk in the html, so if you have updated
templates that are cleaner maybe it should replace the one in the
distribution.

> If all this is beyond you at this point, I'm not sure what else I can offer,
> besides suggesting that perhaps Swish-e is not the best tool for you to use.
> It's intended to be one tool in a suite of tools, not an off-the-shelf google
> replacement.

Oh great.  There's goes our IPO hype.