Re: Insecure Indexing

From: Michael Peters <mpeters(at)not-real.plusthree.com>
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 19:55:10 GMT
David L Norris wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-03-01 at 14:19 -0500, Michael Peters wrote:
>
>>You mean an indexer that was aware of the web server's permissions?
>>Which one? Apache, IIS, Websphere, etc? Web servers can ber configured
>>in such convoluted ways that it would be difficult to just parse a conf
>>file, not to mention custom auth handlers like one would right under
>>mod_perl, and forget being able to use cookies to check if someone is
>>'logged in'.
>

> Well, that's exactly the argument I'm making.  It's unreasonably complex
> to implement the convoluted logic required for an arbitrary number of
> web servers.  Rather than trying to make Swish-e understand 100
> different web servers I think it would be better to implement that in a
> specialized "-S prog" method script.

I still don't understand how this specialized "-S prog" would work? A
file-level search will *never* be able to respect the access controls
for the web server because for any moderately complex webserver. You
couldn't even look at a file's path and guarantee that you could figure
out the URL for any given file. These decisions are made at request time.

--
Michael Peters
Developer