Re: NOT just plain broken for me.

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 21:42:26 GMT
Bill will likely correct me here; here's my guess.

since the default metaname is 'swishdefault' and all words not otherwise
assigned to a metaname are indexed there, perhaps the query parser is doing
something like:

swishdefault=ceo and swishdefault=(not assistant)

which would explain why your first example doesn't behave as expected (assuming
that the 'assistant' in the title is not indexed under swishdefault).

there are no default stopwords, however -- unless you are using IgnoreLimit ? --
so that doesn't explain your last example (the presence of 'the').

Bill will need to weigh in, if he isn't out enjoying the California sunshine.