Re: Perl I/O buffering and the prog method

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 15:26:19 GMT
On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 06:12:18AM -0800, Thomas R. Bruce wrote:
> We run any number of custom spidering scripts that we use to feed
> swish-e, via the prog method.  They're in perl.  Recently, I've started
> messing around with turning buffering off on STDOUT for these scripts
> (via $|++) and my general impression, without formal benchmarks, is that
> they're running a good bit faster.  They're running on a Linux box with
> one of the 2.4.x kernels.

What do you think that is?

Do you see a difference if you run just the spider with and without
buffering.

   ./spider spider.config > /dev/null

or if capturing to a file.

I would expect a slight slowdown (if you could notice it) with
buffering off.  More system calls.  But not very many more.  spider.pl
isn't printing line-by-line, so I'd think you would not see much
difference either way.