Re: Ranking, even with strong bias

From: Thomas R. Bruce <trb2(at)not-real.cornell.edu>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 14:18:55 GMT
Walter:

We use this kind of metadata "bait and switch" technique fairly often
though not with repetition.  Our usual reason is that we want to force
the storage of something on the index that isn't actually available in
the source document (possibly because we are getting it from someone
else, or possibly because it's in some legacy format that doesn't carry
as much metadata as our current best-of-breed).  Sometimes this is done
with search in mind; sometimes it's because we want something to appear
in the hit list as a guide to the end user that has to be externally
built or grabbed.  For instance, we're running judicial opinions through
an off-the-rack text-summarizer from CPAN, which actually appears to do
a pretty good job of getting the essentials -- a big help to the user
who is trying to decide what to read first, and practically costless in
effort.

t.

--
Thomas R. Bruce (trb2@cornell.edu)