Re: PDF indexing: one minor mystery revealed

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 01:52:40 GMT
Thomas R. Bruce wrote on 2/3/05 7:47 PM:

 > Turns out that pdftotext -- and by implication,
> SWISH::Filter, which uses it -- can't cope with some Type 3 fonts.

Be sure and send that report to the xpdf site. I'm sure the developer would want
to know, if he doesn't already.

> Hope this helps somebody.  For that matter, if anyone has a pdf-to-ascii
> or -html converter that'll cope with Type 3 fonts, I'd love to know
> about it.

xpdf is pretty much the gold standard for open software. even pdftohtml
(http://pdftohtml.sourceforge.net/) which you might prefer for swish-e use,
relies on xpdf IIRC.

but yes, any other tools anyone knows of, send them to the list. we'd all benefit.