Ranking, even with strong bias

From: Tac Tacelosky <tac(at)not-real.smokescreen.org>
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 20:34:52 GMT
We're indexing about 130 XML files, varying from tiny to huge.  They
basically consists of products with a title and description, and they're all
merged into one giant index (for speed) at the end.  I'd really like the
results to be heavily biased if the search term is in the title.  My config
file is set to

MetaNamesRank +9 name
MetaNamesRank -7 description

My top result is a long description that has variations of those two words
(several times, unfortunately, and in a completely unrelated way, far from
each other).  What I'm trying to do is either tweak the config, or tweak the
query, so that a single match in the title outweighs multiple matches in the
description.  Big bonus would be when the words showed up as a phrase, to
have higher ranking, but not restricted to that.  I had thought about a
query like (title:"graphic OR design") OR (description:"graphic design"),
but that's not even right.

So, I guess I'm wondering if adjusting the IgnoreTotalWordCountWhenRanking
to no will make it so that one or two words of a 5 word title will be ranked
much higher than 8 words of a 100-word description.  Or...?

I realize that MetaNamesRank in merged files is still considered
"experimental", too.

Thanks!

Tac