Re: swish-e gets a nod

From: Douglas Smith <douglas(at)not-real.slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 18:27:55 GMT
Thanks for the link.  I traded a series of e-mail with this free-
lance writer a couple of months ago.  She had been asking
around about search techs, and needed to talk to someone
who had been using something open source in a production
env.  So I told her what I could.

She seems to have gotten the quotes mostly right, but our
e-mail were pretty free form.  The quote came from a discussion
we had about what would be the difference between Swish-E
and Google for example, and why we actually found Swish-E to be
better suited for our needs.

I had heard about the article coming out, but hadn't seen it
yet.  I got a bunch of phone calls last week from various search/
index/xml database/something or other latest buzz-word
providers last week to offer me their latest mouse trap.  I didn't
really understand why they were calling me, if I have something
that works for me, and keeps about 500 users happy every day,
why do I want to try out something I have to spend more money
on?

Anyway, thanks for the link, and thanks for the work on swish-e,
saves me a bunch of time, and I am a bit of a hero to some
around here for using it.

Douglas

On Thursday 27 January 2005 7:42 am, Eric Lease Morgan wrote:
> Swish-e gets a nod in a recent ComputerWorld article:
>
>    For instance, researchers at the Stanford Linear Accelerator
>    Center (SLAC) in Menlo Park, Calif., recently needed a
>    search tool to help them index and navigate an internal
>    newsgroup with 600-plus posts per day. They needed a tool
>    that was customizable and capable of handling the large
>    volume of posted messages. After evaluating a number of
>    commercial and open-source search products, SLAC chose the
>    open-source Swish-e tool, both for its speed and low cost.
>
>    "It doesn't do all that Google does ... but it turned out to
>    be the fastest index engine," says Douglas Smith, an
>    experimental support professional at SLAC. Smith notes that
>    internal search requires different capabilities than public
>    Internet search, where users don't know anything about the
>    content they're searching.
>
> See: http://tinyurl.com/3n524
>
> FYI.

Douglas A. Smith                  douglas@slac.stanford.edu
Office: Bld 280, Rm 157                       (650)926-2369