Re: generation of large index failed with swish-e 2.4.3

From: swishe <swishe(at)not-real.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 00:09:35 GMT
Bill,

thank you for your fast response.
We are glad that we always get help from you, Peter and other
helpful swish-e enthusiasts ;-)

After I wrote my mail to the swish-e-list we've tried one more thing.
We've used the config.nice with LARGEFILE support and called
make clean/install to build the swish-e version with LARGEFILE
support again. After this we tried to generate the index for our
~ 3.000.000 records. 6 hours later it has been built !
swish-e is really a very powerful software !! Thanks to all
of you who developed it !

I have to explain that we had two version of swish-e 2.4.3 on the
same machine. One version without LARGEFILE support and one with:
   swish-e-largefile / swish-e-smallfile
We used a link in /usr/local/bin to toggle between both versions
cause we've seen that our indexfiles which were built with
swish-e-largefile are much greater than these with swish-e-smallfile
which seems to be clear cause of the 32/64 bit presentation for
data structures.

So we decided to use both versions on one server cause most of our
indexes are < 2 GB and for the rare cases where our index file
needs largefile support we wanted to call swish-e-largefile.

Do you know the reason why this idea did not work?

Best wishes, Uwe

Uwe Dierolf
University of Karlsruhe - University Library
P.O.Box 6920, 76049 Karlsruhe, Germany
phone(fax) :  49/721/608-6076(4886)
www        :  www.ubka.uni-karlsruhe.de/dierolf/