Re: Installing swish-e on RedHat 9 without gcc

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Wed Jan 19 2005 - 17:08:04 GMT
On Wed, Jan 19, 2005 at 08:32:17AM -0800, Philippe de Rochambeau wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I am not too familiar with
> building RPMs, even less with customizing them.
>
> I just want to copy the files on one machine to another machine with
> the same directory hierarchy.

Test before trying, but you should be able to build swish-e normally
and then use DESTDIR to change the location of were files are installed.

So:

  $ ./configure && make
  $ make DESTDIR=$HOME/tmp_swish install

So the program would be setup to expect files in /usr/local (the
default prefix) but they would be installed in what you specify for
DESTDIR.  Then you tar up that directory and untar it in your root
directory on the target machine.

Again, test how to tar and untar in some other directory to make sure
it works like you expect.

Red Hat doesn't always have /usr/local/lib in the default library
search path, so you might need to adjust that.  Or you can use
--prefix=/usr when you build swish to have it install like other
packages.  I'd stick with /usr/local, I think.

You will still have to install any other libraries swish-e depends on
that are not installed on your target machine.

Now, if all you want is swish, then you could try just copying the
/usr/local/lib/libswish-e* files and the swish-e binary to the target
machine and see if that works.

Another option is building swish-e as a static program and just copy
that.

Lots of options.