Re: installing perl module problem

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 18:33:10 GMT
On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:14:54PM -0600, Peter Karman wrote:

> I played for a long time with that idea and for reasons I can't remember
> off hand, it was much easier to specify it in other ways.
> The LIBS option to is much more effective.
> perl LIBS='-L/usr/local/lib' -lswish-e -lz'

Basically, if you are installing libs in /usr/local/lib, the it would
seem like you would want /usr/local/lib in  So it's a
system config issue.

It's also probably dependent on what version of MakeMaker you have

Swish 2.4.3 does this in the make file:

   $config{LIBS}    = backtick( "$binary --libs" );

which is:

   $ swish-config --libs
   -L/usr/local/lib -lswish-e -lz -lm

And on my machine when I run make I see:

LD_RUN_PATH="/usr/local/lib" cc  -shared -L/usr/local/lib API.o  -o blib/arch/auto/SWISH/API/   -L/usr/local/lib -lswish-e -lz -lm

So on my machine it is indeed setting LD_RUN_PATH.  That may not be
happening on older versions of MakeMaker.

The path is stored in the library:

$ objdump -p blib/arch/auto/SWISH/API/ | grep RPATH
  RPATH       /usr/local/lib

> and if memory serves, the LDFLAGS option (while documented) does not
> seem to work as expected. It seems to be ignored altogether.

Again, that may be dependent on the version of MakeMaker.

Help with Swish-e: