Re: Ballpark disk space requirements

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Jan 06 2005 - 17:12:07 GMT
On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 08:18:17AM -0800, Tom.Weimer@VerizonWireless.com wrote:
> Bill Moseley wrote on 01/06/2005 09:32 AM:
> > Disks are cheap.

All I had was your subject to go on.  Our poor old list server
software can't deal with attachments.

> Yes, disks are cheap.  Beauracracies, however, are sometimes expensive, and
> this is more a case of the latter.  There are boxes to be checked, approvals
> to secure, risks to assess, policies to follow from several Moore's Law
> iterations ago.

Keep in mind that reindexing will require at least twice the disk
space as your index uses.

> Thank you, Peter.  I was just told that the current system is down to about
> 2GB of free space, so we should be able to squeeze Swish on there no
> problem.

Not a lot of breathing room.  The bureaucracy might want to consider the
costs of running out of disk space, too. ;)