Re: Which PDF file?

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 21:09:06 GMT
On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 11:57:28AM -0800, Richard Morin wrote:
> On Jan 4, 2005, at 11:35 AM, Peter Karman wrote:
>
> > that's an error from xpdf, not swish-e.
> >
> > try editing your spider program to print each file
> > name before it filters it.
>
> Yes, I can do that.  The result will be a long list
> of paths, one of which is immediately before the
> error message.  This is not an optimal solution.

I asked xpdf's author a while back to include the file name in error
messages.  If you are spidering it will be a temporary file, though,
so not much help.

> I think that SWISH-E should be able to detect the fact
> that an error has occurred and print the relevant path.
> I was hoping, in fact, that something like this was
> already in place, but needed an option to be turned on.

That's only available in SWISH-E Professional Edition SP4.

No, it's a good idea.  It's a bit of a problem to do it portably.

You might be able to edit SWISH/Filter.pm and in the run_program()
function change:

   close $fh;

   close $fh || warn "@_ didn't run correctly";

Then you get something like:

spider.pl default http://localhost/apache/x.pdf >/dev/null
/usr/local/lib/swish-e/spider.pl: Reading parameters from 'default'
Error: May not be a PDF file (continuing anyway)
Error (0): PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Error: Couldn't read xref table
7552 Warning - http://localhost/apache/x.pdf: /usr/bin/pdfinfo /tmp/K1CvmBq69x didn't run correctly at /usr/local/lib/swish-e/perl/SWISH/Filter.pm line 1372.