Re: Remove files from index

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Fri Dec 31 2004 - 15:27:02 GMT
On Thu, Dec 23, 2004 at 09:56:56PM -0800, Martin Djernæs wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> > Merge doesn't really update -- it just takes input from two
> > or more indexes and writes a new index.  If there's multiple
> > files of the same name the newest file is used.
>
> Which is perfectly fine as overwriting with a null file will have the
> desired effect.

Not perfectly.

First, you can't create an index of just an empty file.  I'm not sure
if there's a real reason for that.  But you could create an index
that includes empty files and then merging that index will remove the
words from the index for that file.

But, it's not the same thing as removing it from the index.  The file
still exists in the index but just without any words.  So if you say
show all files that do not include foo, then it will show up.

Merge doesn't remove files.  merge.c is not that complex -- you might
be able to figure out a way to have it completely remove a file if the
input file is empty.  I haven't looked.