Re: Swish-E with incremental index building

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 18:22:44 GMT
Bill Moseley wrote on 12/5/04 10:40 AM:

> On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 06:54:52AM -0800, Peter Karman wrote:
>
>>yes. the -i inputstuff is the key. if you tell it to use the same
>>inputstuff as when creating the db initially, it will.
>>
>>i.e., these are the same
>>
>>swish-e -u -i file
>>swish-e -i file
>

> I have not tested, but my guess is that's due to the bug reported by
> Paul a few days ago.  -i would cause it to be just normal indexing.
> The fix is in cvs.

actually, I built from cvs last night for my test, and it still did that.

> (maybe the command should be
>
>     {-i|-u|-r} file/path
>
> so they all take a path.  That might make it more clear, would you
> agree?

I totally agree. that's how I expected it to work.

as you point out, there are lots of issues with updating/removing files.
seems like right now, the --increm feature is best used with some kind
of external script/db that can keep track of what you want to
update/remove, based on whatever logic you want to use. the -u/-r
feature right now only does what you tell it to. there's no real
"intelligence" behind it, that I can see anyway.