Re: Re: Re: Re: Swish-E with incremental index building

From: Peter Karman <peter(at)not-real.peknet.com>
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 14:56:34 GMT
tmuetze@alanti.net wrote on 12/4/04 11:05 PM:

>>to update files that have changed:
>>
>>swish-e -u -f index.idx -c swish-e.config
>

> Just don't work. Swish-e seems to do the same as the command above.

yes. the -i inputstuff is the key. if you tell it to use the same
inputstuff as when creating the db initially, it will.

i.e., these are the same

swish-e -u -i file
swish-e -i file

the key is this: if file changes between indexings, then the -u will
update it's contents in the index.

so if you do this:

swish-e -i /path/to/files/

and then change nothing in /path/to/files/

swish-e -u -i /path/to/files/

will give you exactly the same index.

>>to remove specific files:
>>
>>swish-e -r -i filetoremove -f index.idx -c swish-e.config
>

> This also doesn't seem to work. Or am I doing something wrong?

it works for me, so all I can guess is that there's something amiss with
how it's dealing with filtered files? I suggest trying some of the
debugging features, with -T and -v and so forth, to try and figure out
what's happening. note that in my example below, the -r run says "0
total words" -- to indicate that it was removed, I guess.

karpet@cartermac 142% swish-e -i test.xml
Indexing Data Source: "File-System"
Indexing "test.xml"
..
1 file indexed.  16 total bytes.  1 total words.

karpet@cartermac 143% cat test.xml
<foo>bar </foo>
karpet@cartermac 144% swish-e -w bar

1000 test.xml "test.xml" 16
.
karpet@cartermac 145% swish-e -r -i test.xml
Indexing Data Source: "File-System"
Indexing "test.xml"

1 file indexed.  0 total bytes.  0 total words.

karpet@cartermac 146% swish-e -w bar

err: no results
.