Re: Re: Swish-E with incremental index building

From: <tmuetze(at)not-real.alanti.net>
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 00:46:45 GMT
Hi all,
has anyone real-world knowledge about using -r and -u switches on a
build which was done with "configure --enable-incremental"? I really
don't know how those switches really affects the work of swish-e.

My stripped down test configfile:
IndexDir /some_dir/
IndexOnly .txt .htm .html .doc .xls .pdf
FileFilter .doc /usr/bin/catdoc "-s8859-1 -dcp1252 '%p'"
FileFilter .pdf /usr/bin/pdftotext "-htmlmeta -nopgbrk '%p' -"
IndexContents HTML .pdf
IndexContents TXT  .doc

This is the command we issue:
swish-e -u -r -f index.idx -c swish-e.config

Whenever we issue the command the index is rebuilded from scratch. Maybe
I just have misunderstood what -u and -r should actually do?

When I now try the following:
swish-e -u -r -N index.idx -f index.idx -c swish-e.config

As expected, the index isn't rebuilded because of the timestamp check.
When I now manually remove a file and reindex, this file isn't removed
from the index.

So please give me hint what we have done wrong because I'm lost right
now ;-)

Best Regards,
Tilo

Hi Peter,

Peter Karman wrote:
> I think if you do use it, you might consider yourself a "pilot
> tester" and let us know what you discover. :)

OK, we already have installed the latest build on one of our
test-machines, so let's see how it really works in practice.

> Even though the incremental feature has been available for a couple
> release cycles (including the soon-to-be-announced 2.4.3), it really
> needs more real-world exposure before the 'experimental' label is removed.
>
> So try it out, stress it, see if it breaks. The more people who do that,
> the closer we can collectively come to calling it 'stable'.

I will report my findings back to the list.

Regards,
Tilo