Re: Greetings Swish-e developers

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)not-real.hank.org>
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 22:09:07 GMT
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 01:51:34PM -0800, Dave Seff wrote:
> I'm not looking for a web cgi. I am looking for a TCP based search
> server.

SWISHED is using Apache/mod_perl for the network layer.  It's a bit
heavy weight compared to a dedicated server, but it's also smart to
leverage Apache as Apache contains the code for managing multiple
connections and adjusting itself based on load.  It's not a CGI based
application other than using http as the for the request and response.

It doesn't have the control or access like using SWISH::API locally
(e.g. return objects that you can call from your code to access the
index directly, but that may not be that desirable over the network
anyway).

I have not looked at in detail, so I'm not sure if it does any
optimization like caching query results or if it shares any data
between Apache processes.