Re: Greetings Swish-e developers

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)>
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 22:09:07 GMT
On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 01:51:34PM -0800, Dave Seff wrote:
> I'm not looking for a web cgi. I am looking for a TCP based search
> server.

SWISHED is using Apache/mod_perl for the network layer.  It's a bit
heavy weight compared to a dedicated server, but it's also smart to
leverage Apache as Apache contains the code for managing multiple
connections and adjusting itself based on load.  It's not a CGI based
application other than using http as the for the request and response.

It doesn't have the control or access like using SWISH::API locally
(e.g. return objects that you can call from your code to access the
index directly, but that may not be that desirable over the network

I have not looked at in detail, so I'm not sure if it does any
optimization like caching query results or if it shares any data
between Apache processes.

Help with Swish-e: